How to make and Install French Doors
Installing French doors isn’t an easy task, but with these helpful instructions, the end result is worth the extra work,
- Remove the old frame around the opening with a hammer and pry bars where you want to install French doors. Remove trim carefully so you don’t damage it, and label the pieces as you go to make putting them back up easier.
2. Use the long level and carpenter’s square to make sure the inside of the opening is square and true.
3. Install the new frame and firm it up using shims. Drill pilot holes through the frame and shims. Drive nails just far enough to temporarily hold frame in place.
4. Test-fit the new doors before securing frame permanently. Make adjustments if necessary to make sure doors open and close properly.
5. Once everything fits and is plumb, secure frame permanently with screws.
6. Hang doors and install door hardware according to manufacturer’s instruction.
7.With a utility knife, score caulking around the window trim, and then carefully remove it with a pry bar. Remove enough drywall so that you can measure the opening width from wall stud to wall stud. On the outside, measure for the height of the door from the deck to the top of the window. Also measure the wall thickness by measuring the jamb width on the window.
Baertec R & D